[OT] Opinions about On-Rev

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 11:41:31 EDT 2009

On Apr 18, 2009, at 2:29 AM, Ian Wood wrote:

> If I've been reading the On-Rev FAQ/examples correctly, no - it
> would be possible to embed On-Rev pages within iframes in pages
> hosted on other servers.
>
> http://samples.on-rev.com/iframe.irev
>
> I'm not that up to date on iframes, but I think that means that you
> couldn't include the Rev code within the HTML on (for instance)
> GoDaddy, but you'd be able to include pages from On-Rev 'within' the
> pages on GoDaddy.

It is true that you can run iframes on other web sites.

You need to know that there are several limitations to delivering web
content using one or more iframes on a single web page.

On very good use of On-Rev would be to build 'widgets' that would run
in a rectangle on other web pages, kind of like banner ads are
implimented.  Some browsers and hosts are setup to to decline/defend
against cross-domain scripting.  In your case, you would be using a
web content source (On-Rev) that would not be on the same domain.

A particular example, that would be cool, is to program a Flash movie
that runs on a hostedDomainOfMine.com, has the 'allow-cross-platform-
content', and gets data from On-Rev in order to deliver the user
experience within the Flash movie.

One thing that is more difficult with iframes is to do browser
detection.  Unfortunately, the way of the web programming world today
is most often to adjust the html code returned by a cgi according to
the browser and version of the browser to get the best user experience.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas