3.5 on Debian Linux

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 07:03:22 EDT 2009

Hi Peter,

Not to ignore your disappointment, but I suspect it will be some years
before the LInux version gets sufficient treatment to bring it to
parity with the other platforms.  The only thing one can do is abandon
Rev, adjust one's expectations, or use Rev on a different OS.

I know that it is probably the least of your disappointments, but here
might be a workaround for at least the preferences problem.

With the preferences stack, are you sure the preferences stack is
actually being saved (does the modification time change?)  What
happens if you rename the revpreferences.rev stack?  I think Rev will
create a new one on restart from a template, and if so you can delete
the old one.  The new one will at least only have the default values.
Still not much help for you if you want something other than the
defaults.  Maybe you can actually save the preferences stack from the
message box and see if that makes your new preferences persist?

With the documentation problem, might it not be possible to create a
standalone of the dictionary, then run that as a separate program on
another desktop.  Before I gave up on the Linux version, I created a
standalone of the docs so that I could use more than one desktop (I
was using BvG's version of the docs to do it, but I think it should
work with the Rev dictionary too).

I hope that helps a little.

Bernard