[OT] Opinions about On-Rev

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Fri Apr 17 09:54:10 EDT 2009

> I know that a few here recommend Dreamhost. At the moment the
> only deficiencies that I've noted from a quick scan is that
> on-Rev doesn't list QuickTime/RealAudio support, but I get
> the impression that such holes will be filled rapidly.
>
> I'm probably not the prime target for on-Rev, but I don't
> consider myself the prime target for Revolution either. I
> love Rev and I can see that if on-Rev can minimise the need
> for PHP, CGI and javascript knowledge, I could really enjoy
> working in on-Rev as well.

Hi Kay,

I work with a number of providers, and use Dreamhost along with several
others. Dreamhost is sort of like buying your flour in bulk at WinCo - its
really cheap and there's plenty of stuff you get for your  buck. On the
other hand, you cannot depend on great bandwidth at all times, and they have
some other limitations as well.

They do have one click installs that cover a wide range of uses - for
example, Im involved in a number of Joomla based projects and that's really
simple to set up on dreamhost. You can also have an unlimited number of
sites.

On the other hand, I think its very problematic that they will ever go out
of their way to support Revolution, and they will never be the experts at
Revolution that Runtime will.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President