AW: AW: How to make an app accessible for all users on Mac?

Phil Jimmieson phil at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Apr 17 06:50:43 EDT 2009

Hi Tiemo,
certain parts of the application have to have execute access too. I
think somehow the permissions got messed up when the app was
transferred to the Mac. The app itself is just a folder containing a
number of other files, any one (or more) of which could have its
permissions messed up. I just checked one of my apps and every single
file (and folder) inside of it has full permissions (read, write and
execute) to all users - not what I was expecting - though it does mean
the app runs...

If you don't mind using the terminal you could try the following
(don't type the quotes - I put them in to try to separate the commands
from the other text). Hopefully you can still retrieve a copy of the
original app in case this or the previous attempts to make it work
mess it up further.

Start the terminal and type "cd" and a space.
Open a Finder window to see a view of your application. Click and then
drag your application icon across into the terminal window (this
should add the full path to the location of your app to the cd command
you previously typed).

should now run the cd command and set the terminal's current directory
to be inside the application bundle folder for this app.

Type "pwd" and press return

This should show you the current working directory - which now should
be inside the folder that represents the app (probably something like
"/Applications/yourappname.app". If it isn't, don't try the sudo chmod
command below - you could mess up all sorts of other files.

Type "ls  -lR" and press return (that's lower case L, lower case S,
space, minus, lower case L and upper case R)

You will hopefully now see all the individual elements that make up
your app, and the permissions related to each one. On the app I had
all were set to "rwxrwxrwx" - which gives all permissions to everyone.
If yours doesn't have that you can set it as follows:

Type the following  command while still in the same directory that you
were in when you did the ls command previously (you could repeat the
"pwd" command just to be sure).

"sudo  chmod  -R  a+rwx *"

(the last bit is a star character). This means as a super user (admin
user), change the access permissions recursively (the -R bit) to add
read write and execute for all users to any files and folders in the
current directory.

You'll be asked for your password - you have to be an admin user to
run this command. If you enter your password correctly, all the files
and folders inside your app should now be read, write and execute to
everyone. Only your app's enclosing folder hasn't been changed by this
command.

If your app still doesn't work, then I'm not sure what else to suggest!

Good luck!