AW: How to make an app accessible for all users on Mac?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 04:21:48 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Tiemo Hollmann TB <toolbook at kestner.de>wrote:

> Hi Jacqueline,
> there was no user "system", so I created it and set it to the owner of my
> app. But without result. When starting my app with another standard user,
> the icon zooms for a moment and then nothing happens, no launch.
> Any other idea?

Have you tried Repairing Permissions?

HD/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Start it up, select the HD and click the Repair Disk Permissions button. It
may take a while (10 min or more depending on how many GB of data you have
and how long it's been since it's been run.) After it is finished, review
the output to see if your application was named as needing repair. If it
was, it's probably worth while running the repair again to confirm it
doesn't come up again.

For reference, this sounds very much like a problem Peter Brigham suffered
with his Gutenberg Reader stack back at the end of Feb. If you have the
facilities to search the List archives I suggest you take a look - search
Gutenberg Reader. After some 20 posts Sarah Reichalt provided the solution;
seems the standalone had been made on Win and turned into a ZIP file, then
sent to Macs. This created the odd permissions error. Sarah suggested
turning the standalone into a DMG file for Mac users. Once this was done it
solved the permissions errors a few Mac users were experiencing.

HTH