Controlling PowerPoint From Within Runtime Revolution

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Thu Apr 16 17:59:19 EDT 2009

Hi John,

You can actually do this without ever "leaving" Rev.

In PowerPoint (what version are you running by the way?), there is an option
to Save As -> Other Formats. Select Web Page (HTM, HTML) -  this is in
PowerPoint 2007 but the ability to translate PPT to HTML had been around for
awhile.. This will convert your PowerPoint presentation to a format that can
be run from any web server.

Now build a Rev window and use revBrowserOpen to open a browser window. Use
the other revBrowser handlers to add whatever controls you need. Then
navigate the HTML version of the PPT presentation right from inside of Rev.

Option 2:

If you have Camtasia (since you are in education, if you don't have it, you
can get it pretty cheap ;-), Camtasia has an option to convert PPT to a
standard SWF movie embedded into an HTML page. In this case, you can upload
the HTML to a web server, or you can just take the .swf movie and place it
locally on a hard drive.

Again you do the same thing. You create a Rev window and use revBrowser to
play the movie.

With either of these options, you never leave Rev and it's cross platform.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini