On-Rev: We've listened

George C Brackett gbrackett at luceatlux.com
Thu Apr 16 16:37:14 EDT 2009

I agree -- this is an exciting development.  But...

What I see from the examples is the opportunity to use Rev plus HTML +
Javascript + CSS to accomplish what I normally use PHP + HTML +
Javascript + CSS to accomplish.  I love the idea of $499 for lifelong
hosting, but the hard parts for me are not the PHP coding but figuring
out the rest of the collection of tools, notably CSS and Javascript
(or Java, or ...).

I am instead most attracted by the opportunity to use Rev alone to
substitute for ALL those tools, which is what the future Rev 4 plugin
will provide.  The cost will be that the user must download and
install the plugin, which I hope fervently will be VERY easy to do,
just as easy as Quicktime etc.  The plugin will work with my current
servers, since it is client-side.  And since I develop for schools,
the interactivity and display sophistication offered by Rev (and now
especially in 3.5) are essential, and most easily accomplished in
Rev's rich and powerful environment.

So I'm mulling over this new opportunity.  I'm tempted, for sure:
Powerful new server environment and helping support the ongoing
development of Rev vs. moving a number of domains (including one using
Joomla) to obtain coding advantages I probably won't use.  I look
forward to hearing more from other folks about their thoughts on these
issues.  As always, I expect to learn a lot.

George