"Did you know that ....... ?"

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Apr 15 12:51:16 EDT 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 5:09 AM, Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:

> Hi from Paris,
>
> When I upgraded to Rev 3.0, I was happy for so many reasons.
> But there were things inside the script editor I found very
> painful, even though there were MANY improvements.
>
> The thing that peeved me most was that the script text lines
> never lined up. I spent valuable minutes ('cos I love "order")
> in all my scripts making sure that indents were correct.
>
> Today, I hit the TAB key by mistake, while editing a script,
> and "BINGO", everything lined up perfectly.
>
> Why is progress so difficult to achieve, and why is "CHANCE"
> so important to achieve this progress ?
>
> (Who was it that first said "Progress is a series of "XXXX-ups !) ?
>
> There are probably dozens of bells and whistles hidden away
> in all the corners of Revolution, that we may never find.
>
> I think that somebody in Rev should start a blog with the title :
>
> "Did you know that ........ !"
>
> I'm sure it would be very popular.
>
> Now I see some of you reaching for your keyboards, to let me
> know that this information is on page 2742 of the documentation.
> But if I read alllll the documentation concerning Revolution,
> I would surely be a much better programmer - with ZERO stacks
> to my credit !!

In my classes I was finding that students often wanted to know if
"there is a shortcut for X". Tthe most common ones I could remember,
but I also knew that there were some I didn't know about or remember
off the top of my head. So I compiled a list of shortcuts at http://revolution.byu.edu/helps/shortcuts.php

Now I see that Appendix A of the User Guide has roughly the same list,
although there are a few out-of-date items. I also have a couple of
things on my list that aren't in the User Guide.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University