libUrlFtpUploadFile - reuse open sockets?

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Tue Apr 14 20:31:39 EDT 2009

Hi Phil,

> While using libUrlFtpUploadFile to upload a bunch of files to a server,
> I find that libUrlFtpUploadFile opens a new socket for each upload.
> Even
> using a callback message to start a new one when the current one
> finishes, I get a "max number of connections" message back from the
> server when the server's max number is reached. After this, the next
> few
> upload attempts fail due to max number of connections; then as the open
> connections time out, new files can successfully upload again.
>
> So... I want to know:
>
> 1) Does FTP require a new socket for each upload?
>
> 2) If not, how do I tell libUrlFtpUploadFile to reuse an existing open
> socket for the next upload?
>
> 3) Is there something else I'm missing? Am I making things more
> complicated than they need to be? I have a nagging suspicion along this
> line...
>

> Here's how my code is structured:
>
> on uploadMyFile pLocalFile, pServerPath
>   libUrlFtpUploadFile pLocalFile,pServerPath,"uploadEnded"
> end uploadMyFile
>
> on uploadEnded pUrl, pStatus
>   put pUrl & tab & pStatus & cr after fld "callbackParams"
>   put nextFileFromList() into p1
>   put nextServerPath() into p2
>   send ("uploadMyFile" && p1 & comma & p2) to me in 6 ticks
> end uploadEnded

Since it doesn't appear that you are using the callback except to know the
upload ended and assuming these files are not huge and you don't need to do
anything else during the upload like show a progress bar or other
processing, you can just use:

Put "binfile:" before pLocalFile
Put URL pLocalFile into URL pServerPath

Unlike libUrlFtpUploadFile, a put URL is blocking, which means your
upLoadMyFile command is paused until the upload completes. If there is an
error, it will be returned in *the result* and you can handle your next
logic in the same handler.

I "believe" that because it's blocking, the socket is closed after the
upload, but someone else can/will correct me on this if I am wrong. ;-)

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini