Heads up: commas in file paths

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Tue Apr 14 14:50:28 EDT 2009

Bob Sneidar wrote:

> Anyone who works with data for any length of time will quickly come to
> this one very practical principle: NO SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN FILE
> NAMES! Period! (pun intended)

I agree. I don't even use spaces, so as to avoid having to encapsulate in
quotes. Just upper and lower case. When a delimiter is absolutely necessary,
I use an underscore character instead of a space because I have found an
underscore is a pretty safe special character in all OSs and DBs I have
used.

I note even MS has dropped the use of spaces in system directory names that
were in XP and prior but not in Vista.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini