Not bringing a window to front

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Sat Apr 11 04:18:50 EDT 2009

> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> What I had before was "go this stack" and I guess when you do that it
> makes it the frontmost stack (I'll have to remember that for later if
> that is the behavior I want).
>
> I make the line, " if "stack name" is not among the lines of the
> openStacks then go this stack", and that solved my problem. The window
> updates with the other commands but the window doesn't come to the
> front which is the behavior I want. If the window isn't opened at all
> it won't be among the lines of the openStacks and will not only open
> but make it the frontmost stack which is acceptable.
>
> Bill Vlahos
>
> On Apr 9, 2009, at 10:23 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
> > Bill Vlahos wrote:
> >> I have a substack that has has information on it which can be
> >> updated. I currently use "open this stack" which opens it for the
> >> first time and makes it the frontmost window. However, if the
> >> window is already open all I want to do is update the information
> >> on it but not bring it to the front. How do I do that?
> >
> > Just refer to the stack or its fields remotely:
> >
> > put myData into fld 1 of stack mySubstack
> >
> > You can hilite buttons or whatever else you need the same way. Just
> > include a specific reference to the object.

Another thing I will mention, which you probably already know, but just
because I haven't seen it mentioned on list for awhile.

You can also "hide" a stack by going invisible to it and moving it
off-screen by setting its location to, for example, -10000,-10000. The
reason to use such a high number is to make sure it does not show up on a
second or third monitor the user may have installed.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini