Can Rev turn text to speech and record it?

BNig niggemann at uni-wh.de
Fri Apr 10 11:02:50 EDT 2009

Richard,

the whole script would be (without error checking and stuff)

---------------
set myDesktop to (path to desktop) as text
set myfilePath to myDesktop & "myRecording.aif"
set myText to "What to say, this is a recorded message and nothing more"
say myText saving to file myfilePath
set myExportPath to myDesktop & "myRecording.wav"
set myPrefPath to myDesktop & "QTExportSettingWAV"
tell application "QuickTime Player"
	open file myfilePath
	export document 1 as wave replacing yes to file myExportPath using settings
file myPrefPath
end tell
---------------

the only thing missing is the preference file that I named
"QTExportSettingWAV"

to get to this you open your aiff file in Quicktime Player, I guess you need
the Pro version of the player. If you dont have it I can email you the prefs
file.
If you do have the pro version then you do an export with the settings you
decide on e.g. 16 khz etc to an arbitrary file
Leave the player as it is with the aiff file as the frontmost document

in skripteditor you put
----------------------
set myDesktop to path to desktop as text
set myExpPath to myDesktop & "QTExportSettingWAV"
tell application "QuickTime Player"
	save export settings of document 1 for wave to file myExpPath
end tell
this gives you the settings file on the desktop.

now you can run the first script and it should work. The way it is now
everything is on the desktop and the files replace each other. But that is
trivial to change.

Except for the export of the settings file all of the above works in the
non-Pro version of the Quicktime player. So once you have a settings file
you could run this regardless of Pro or not (may save you $30)

hope you get there
bernd