Multi Thread FTP

Warren.Kuhl at NorthernTool.com Warren.Kuhl at NorthernTool.com
Wed Apr 8 14:20:34 EDT 2009

Bernard,

Thanks for your feedback.  I will check out libRevCurl.  I was looking for
a way to open up multiple ftp connections and uploading html pages.
Hopefully this Mark Smith's libRevCurl will point me in the right
direction.

Warren

             Bernard Devlin
             <bdrunrev at gmail.c
             Sent by:                  How to use Revolution
             use-revolution-bo         <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
             unces at lists.runre                                          cc
             v.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Multi Thread FTP
             04/08/2009 12:08
             PM

             Please respond to
                How to use
                Revolution
             <use-revolution at l
             ists.runrev.com>

Hi Warren,

Revolution is single-threaded.  However, are you sure that you need
multi-threading?  I'm asking this because you can use callbacks with
various internet actions in Rev, and this kind of event-based
interactivity might be sufficient.  There's a very good presentation
by John Ousterhout (the man who designed Tcl/Tk) that puts forward a
very effective case for event-based processing instead of
multi-threaded processing (bottom line: only a small percentage of
programmers are capable of writing working multi-threaded code).

If you still need more than the event-based processing provided by
callbacks, then you could look at Mark Smith's libRevCurl.  I referred
to it a couple of days back in a discussion on the list about getting
round the fact that the POST action of Rev's internet library does not
work with callbacks.

Mark's library will make calls to the CURL executable, and such calls
will all be independent of each other and will exploit the OS capacity
for multi-processing.

Bernard

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 4:33 PM,  <Warren.Kuhl at northerntool.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to create a program to do multi-thread FTP upload?  From
> what I understand about Revolution Studio, everything is single thread.
>
> Warren

subscription preferences: