standalone woes

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 21:19:04 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Jan Schenkel <janschenkel at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is it possible you're using 'special' characters in your script that work
> on Mac but not Windows - classic examples are the continuation character
> (the flipped inverted L) or the not-equals or the less-than-or-equals or
> greater-than-or-equals single-character signs.
> Support for these characters is included for backward compatibility with
> HyperCard, but these won't work on Windows or Linux. So you may have to go
> through your scripts to replace these.
> The cross-platform continuation character is '\' (backslash), the
> not-equals sign has to be replaced with '<>', and likewise you have to
> replace the less-than-or-equals sign with '<=' and greater-than-or-equals
> with '>='

Interesting. In the Rev Dictionary if I type in the search box \ or <= it
finds the appropriate entry but if I type in > or >= there are no hits. The
entries are there, I can see them listed. I guess > as a HTML character
isn't being parsed correctly?

Unfortunately none of the HyperCard synonyms are mentioned nor the problems
associated with using them on Win/Linux.