help needed: Error 10038 on socket

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 04:40:25 EDT 2009

Tiemo, as this looks like a tcp/ip socket-level error I did a search
on google, and it seems it is fairly widespread and occurs in diverse
contexts (many different kinds of Windows apps).  So, it is a problem
at a deeper level than your app or the server.

http://www.pscs.co.uk/helpdesk/vpop3help/vpop3/socket_error_10038.htm

Several of the linked pages suggest that the solution is that the
client computers with the problem re-install tcp/ip networking:

http://www.pscs.co.uk/helpdesk/vpop3help/vpop3/socket_error_10038.htm
http://forums.techguy.org/networking/752133-solved-webtime-clock-tcp-ip.html

That last page contains some Windows command lines that you could
perhaps distribute as a fix (although obviously this is a bit risky,
as if things go wrong and the Windows machine gets borked, then you
did it!):

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock
reset catalog

Reboot the machine.
<<

Hope that helps,