Tutorial - MacAddict Forum Reader on RevJournal Website - Webpage Won't Open

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 17:00:03 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 2:22 AM, Mark Srebnik <msrebnik at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Just got Rev3 about 2 weeks ago...so just getting started....
>
> Found Sarah's tutorial - "MacAddict Forum Reader" on RevJournal website.
>
> Tried tutorial, but so far not getting web page to open...
>
> on mouseUp
>  show image "Busy"
>  put field "Address" into tAddress
>  load URL tAddress with message processWebPage
> end mouseUp
>

> I notice that it uses command "load URL", while in RunRev's beginning
> tutorial video, they use 'revGoURL'... although checked Dictionary and it
> says 'revGoURL' is now deprecated..  ;-)
>
> Have tried both but neither are opening up a browser window after clicking
> the "Load" button...

The real problem is that MacAddict is no more. It has morphed into
Mac|Life, lost all it's enthusiasm and become boring as well as filled
with ads for Sony & Vista. Having been a MacAddict subscriber since
issue 1, this was very sad to see and I did not renew my subscription.

Anyway, I will need to re-write the scripts to use the Mac|Life forums
instead of the MacAddict ones. The base address has changed but so has
the structure of the page. One I have done that, I will send it to
Richard for the revJournal site and notify people on the list.

One other issue is that the "load" command does not go to your browser
the way revGoURL or launch does. It just loads the HTML source into
memory, and when it is finished, it goes to the specified callback
handler, if one has been specified. If this was all working, you would
just see a list of forum names appear on the left. Then you would be
able to click on one of them to see a list of sub-forums names.

Cheers,
Sarah