I cannot paste in any field in an app (consisting of up to 7 stacks)

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Sep 30 11:01:02 EDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 7:33 AM, Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> Neal Campbell wrote:
>> Are you using PC or OS X? I had a similar situation on the PC version
>> this weekend and never figured out what it was. Moved over to OS X
>> for
>> the project.
>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:48 AM, runrev at animabit.de <runrev at animabit.de
>> > wrote:
>>> I have an application with up to 7 stacks where I cannot paste in
>>> the fields. What did I do to "set this feature" - I do not find
>>> the clue. Any idea?
>
> Franz,
>
> This may not be it - you don't say whether you can do other typing
> in the
> fields - but I've been utterly stumped in the past by fields that I
> can only
> edit using the property inspector (or otherwise programmatically).
> I finally
> tracked it down to the autoHilite property - this is presented on
> the first
> tab of the property inspector for fields, and the documentation on
> it is very
> clear, so I don't really have an excuse - but the behaviour has
> nothing to do
> with the name, so it's nonetheless very confusing.
>
> The effect of autoHilite on a button is exactly what you'd expect.
> The effect
> on a field is that if this property is false, you/the user can't
> select the
> text or set the insertion point - and hence can't type or paste into
> the
> field.  (Depending on the 'focusable' property - you may still be
> able to tab
> into the field.)
>
> This may have nothing to do with your problem, but it's worth
> checking.

Along these lines, if you want your field to be editable, the
following three properties should be set to true. Each of them
represents a different reason why you might not be able to type in a
field:

the lockText - obvious
the traversalOn - (controlled by the Focusable checkbox) if false,
prevents you from focusing on the field with mouse or tab key
the autoHilite - if false, prevents user from clicking to select text
or an input cursor. I believe you can still tab to the field however.

HTH

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University