message box history - confused

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 07:57:09 EDT 2008

In trying to track down these crashing bugs, I've noticed something strange
about the MB history. Whilst working in 3.0 on Linux today it crashed.  I
decided to try to use my MessageLog to see if it could help determine
precisely what was happening before the crash.  However, rather than process
the log using 3.0 I started 2.9 (in the hope that it wouldn't crash whilst I
was trying to find the information).  When I started 2.9 I saw (to my
surprise) that the MB contained the last command I used on 3.0.  I had
noticed that when 3.0 has crashed before, on restart the MB history
contained the last few commands that I'd used before the crash.  That
puzzled me and I entered into the bug report.  I would not expect the MB
history to contain any command issued since Rev was last quit (i.e. the last
orderly shutdown of Rev).  I'd assumed that maybe this meant that Rev was
not crashing but just quitting, and in the process was saving the MB
history.

But this new behaviour (well, new to me) looks like the MB history is being
shared between both 2.9 and 3.0.  If I had the standard installation, where
someone had upgraded to Rev 3.0 from 2.9 (using check for updates), I might
understand that Rev was saving the MB history.  But since I'm running two
independent installations of Rev, I'm confused by the MB history being
shared.

Is this normal?  And if so, how is it that Rev is sharing this history?
I've checked for hidden (dot) files in my Linux user directory, and there
are none there that seem to be associated with this.

Bernard