Req: spinning progress indicator a la OS X

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 26 01:41:19 EDT 2008

Thomas McGrath III wrote:

 > On Sep 25, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> I'm looking for a freeware animated GIF file of an OS X-style
 >> spinning progress indicator, such as you see when booting the Mac.
 >
 > Did you look at the image library?
 > Standard Images: image id 210065
 > through 210071 are sideways barber poles.
 > Or are you looking for the Beach Ball???

Some call it the Chasing Flower.

Apple calls it the Asynchronous progress indicator:
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGControls/chapter_19_section_5.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000359-TPXREF208>

I call it the spinning thingy you see when the Mac boots. :)

Stephen and Ken sent me some good stuff, but I gotta say Chipp's link
was the most useful, since it's an app that generates custom progress
indicators as animated GIFs on the fly from a variety of templates in
sizes and colors you can specify:

<http://ajaxload.info/>

Now that I have one I'm finding the hard part is working out the mod
factors so it changes frames smoothly and consistently throughout
various stages of the process.  When using the OS API directly is spawns
a separate thread, so the pace of the movement is unaffected by whatever
the app is actively doing.  But in Rev, this is a bit trickier....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal