Stopping A Stack From Starting Up in the IDE

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Sep 25 17:35:47 EDT 2008

Just a follow-up note on this problem with Larry's crashing stack.

It turns out locking messages still didn't prevent a crash on any
version of Rev I have. So I had to get a bit more sneaky and access
the stack's contents BEFORE opening it. Turns out there were a number
of issues with the stack:

1) It was named "msg" which IMO is not such a great idea- I renamed it to "fred"
2) Control number 16 was field "sokField" which somehow corrupted the
stack. I deleted this fld and it now opens correctly. I forwarded the
stack back to Larry.

Interestingly, the contents of that field are strange to say the
least. I've been able to copy the field to this stack:

in message box:
go URL ("http://www.gadgetplugins.com/altplugins/testFix.rev")

Perhaps Jacque or someone who knows Unicode stuff could take a look at
that field and tell me what's happening at the end of it? BTW, the
stack also has the scripts which I used to debug Larry's stack, but
they're not pretty and are in fact a 'most certainly shown as work in
progress' :-)

Larry, if you don't mind, I would suggest you consider filing a bug
report and including your stack. A corrupt field like this should not
cause a crash. In all my years of programming Rev, I can count on one
hand the number of corrupt stacks I've encountered. Sorry this
happened to you.

best, Chipp