Absolute File Paths - Bug or bad Docs

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 21:53:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 7:25 AM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> I thought that if you wanted to refer to an absolute path in unix you would
> use /volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications. This is of course for the Mac OS.
> Perhaps other Unix variants use something else for the mount points besides
> volumes, but the idea is the same.

Sorry, you mean OSX not Mac OS 9. I've just checked, my reference to the HD
being partitioned is incorrect, well only slightly if you consider a normal
HD is a single partition. On OSX for an absolute path you can use either
"/volumes/mac hd/Applications" or "/Applications" - but you can't use "/mac
hd/Applications".  What is important is that both what the Docs say, and the
examples they give are incorrect for OSX, but as Sarah has pointed out they
are correct if you are dealing with the old Classic Mac OS. No idea for Win
or Linux.

Just thought this would have been picked up earlier - I'm not the sharpest
tool in the shed;-)