Absolute File Paths - Bug or bad Docs

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 05:54:11 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Sarah Reichelt <sarah.reichelt at gmail.com>wrote:

> The docs are out of date at least as far as OS X is concerned. The
> hard disk name had to be specified when using Mac OS 9 or less, but
> under OS X, you have to use the Unix type file name where the hard
> drive is left off.

Thanks for confirming this.

> But, if you are using a networked or removable drive, then you have to
> specify the name of the drive, prefaced with "/Volumes"
> e.g. /Volumes/Backup HD/Docs

I think there is a third 'exception'. If you have partitioned your boot HD.
Whilst tracking this down I noticed that in an earlier version of my stack
it included "/Volumes/partition name/folder/folder2/etc" and it had been
working correctly on a lone Mac with a partitioned boot drive.

Thanks