rev cgi - put url & read from

Jim Sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Sun Sep 21 02:22:11 EDT 2008

For clarity and for those who use the archives a lot...

Dave Cragg sent:
>  But I've never come across a case of open-read-close working where
> get/put url didn't. What kind of error do you see in the result? Are
> the file paths identical in both cases?
also
"...libUrl only handles url commands for internet urls (http, ftp).
The engine handles the file protocol urls directly."

Andre sent:
> there's no libURL in the CGI engines, did you copied libURL yourself
> to your CGI? If you didn't then you can't use url calls.

I am making a Rev cgi stack which signs up people (name, email, ID
number, etc.) to a text
file on the server itself. The script gets a list from text file,
checks to see if the person is
already on it, makes sure the admin is not over their limit number of
users, adds new, and then proceeds.
So, I needed to put the contents of that text file into a variable.

As I live in the List Archives & also in the Dictionary, I did glance
at the Dictionary. Seeing the
"not on a server" bit plus the "include this custom library" bit I
figured that I would simply
move back to my old SuperCard method of open-read-close.

Then I stumbled about until I happened upon the correct file path  ;-)

After reading the words of the most honorable Dave, I went back to
check on this.
I tried (now being certain of the file path):     put url "file:Roma/
visitors.txt"  into tUserList

Dang thing worked.  :-)

sims