Arrays: new and old keys, ii

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon Sep 15 13:46:37 EDT 2008

To be fair, lots of languages use hash tables for arrays. And one
could argue that associative arrays are not the data structure of
choice for storing ordered data. I agree that some of this stuff would
be useful, but if you really get down to it, "true arrays" often leave
tasks like sorting to a higher level of abstraction.

Again, I agree it would be handy... but I also have to say that it's
not "simple" to create a native array object which makes everyone
happy with every possible use and still retains all of it's speed and
ease of use.

I know this has been a winding thread, but maybe we could condense the
whole thing into a straightforward feature request. If it's very
popular who knows, maybe we'll see it in Rev 3.1 or later.

So what would it be? A "combine" command which sorts the keys? Or
returns things in the order they were added? Or?