Mail merge in Run Rev

Martin Baxter mb.userev at harbourhosting.co.uk
Sun Sep 14 16:34:37 EDT 2008

James Hurley wrote:
> This is a new area for me, but I'm sure it is a common task for many of
> you.
>
> I have a mail merge job for a local election.
>
> I have generated all the data in RR for the letter, i.e. the label and
> the greeting for the letter from the election data base. (This greeting
> is a little complicated and that's where RR comes in. It is necessary to
> construct a greeting for the household, a household which may contain
> several people and some with different last names. Anyway Rev is  good
> at that part.)
>
> Is there a convenient way to do the merging of this data with the
> letter  in RR or should I just export the data to File Maker and
> construct the letter there?
>
> In RR would  you store the data and the text of the letter in variables,
> putting them together to construct the text for the field and then
> revprintfield in a repeat loop, one loop for each letter? Is this very
> slow? I have a lot of letters to do.
>
> And how can one deal with the formatting, for example center the
> addressee's name and address at the top of the field, RR allows only
> alignment for the entire field?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Hurley

Jim,

If you haven't looked at revolution's "merge" command you should do so
as you might find it helpful for that part. As for formatting for print
I haven't really done anything like that with revolution, so I don't
know about that but I'd guess that could be the harder part to do.

Martin Baxter

--
I am Not a Number, I am a free NaN