New to Rev & Use-Rev List - Some Questions - RevMentor

Judy Perry katheryn.swynford at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 23:07:08 EDT 2008

Hi Mark,

Welcome!  You're in the right place!!!

I also, after more years than I care to admit, cannot code my way out
of a paper bag... yet I manage to do educational stuff with Rev that
works wonders with my kids.  Go figure.  Almost as much as Hypercard
itself, Rev is that unique development environment which is truly a
one-size-fits-all in that a complete imbecile such as myself can make
useful stuff and so can a well-seasoned programmer in nasty low-level
languages, as well as anybody inbetween.

I second Marian's suggestion to go find any and all books on
Hypercard/Hypertalk, especially the Goodman book(s).  Transcript (or
whatever the company's calling the scripting language THIS year) is
essentially a superset of Hypertalk and then everything else Hypertalk
was lacking (EXCEPT SOUND CHANNELS!!! WHY FOR THE LOVE OF G*D DO WE
STILL NOT HAVE SOUND CHANNELS?!?!??!!!).

Everyone here (with the possible exception of myself) is a wonderful,
sharing, thoughtful, helpful, TACTFUL human being.  With the possible
exception of the Hypercard list itself, you will not find a more
helpful, useful, genuinely supportive group.

I'd personally go with the cheapest option that allows you to compile
to at least a single platform; then when you REALLY fall in love with
it (and you will), upgrade to the most expensive option you can
justify.

Judy