New to Rev & Use-Rev List - Some Questions - RevMentor

Petrides, M.D. Marian mpetrides at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 13 22:27:27 EDT 2008

Mark

If you might be developing on one platform (?Mac) but potentially
deploying your app on both platforms, I'd seriously consider
Enterprise.  It's really nice to be able to develop on my Mac, save my
stack(s) onto the PC partition and then go in and make final tweaks
(mainly font fixes) on the Windows side.  Of course, I'm biased
because most of my apps need to be Windows (publisher's insistence)
and I personally have a very strong preference for working on the Mac
not Win.

I always get the download version. However, I'm not sure what is
included with the boxed version, nor do I know what the price
difference is.

As for the dox, I sent the PDF to Kinkos and had them print it double-
sided and spiral bind it.  Cost about $40 (black and white, natch).  I
did it this way because I wanted printed dox and they were not yet
available to order, not necessarily because of the lower price.

Learning strategy:  that would depend on how much you know going in.
I already knew hypercard pretty well, so the transition was easy for
me--and I do better at trying to create a program that does something
I need than trying to learn just by doing tutorials.  But I'm not
exactly a conventional coder, either.  One suggestion I have would be
to see if you can find a copy of Danny Goodman's book on hypercard and
read the first few chapters that talk about concepts like stacks and
message hierarchy--unless you are already familiar with them.  Just my
2 cents. YMMV.

Marian