New to Rev & Use-Rev List - Some Questions - RevMentor

Mark Srebnik msrebnik at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 13 22:13:31 EDT 2008

Greetings Revolutionistas*,

Just discovered the Use-Rev List....wanted to jump in and say "Hello" to
everyone and also get some input from this illustrious group.

Basically, I'm a code noob, living smack in the middle of Silicon Valley,
surrounded coders, hi-tech companies and work right next door to Electronic
Arts and Oracle, yet I don't work for a hi-tech company and couldn't code my
way out of a paperbag....  ;-)

Have dabbled a bit over the past several years with Basic, C, C++ by reading
books on my own and going through some tutorials and exercises....but due to
time constraints (work, etc) haven't gone very far in depth with any
language, but I'm very persistent when I want to do something...

Checked out Rev again this past week, using trial of 2.9, and liked what I
saw and then just found out about 3.0, which looks to be even better...

I do want to learn Rev as it really seems to be a great balance between
being relatively accessible for people like me and yet still have a lot of
powerful capabilities...also, it's clear that there's a great community here
that is very helpful to one another.

So, ready to take the plunge and purchase Rev, but have a few questions
please...

1) Which Version to Buy?

Prior to 3.0, I only considered buying Media or maybe Studio due to pricing.
Now, with new improved lower pricing, I'm considering Studio or Enterprise.

Option A - Enterprise

As I mainly use a Mac at home and a have a little Fujitsu P1610 tabletPC
that I bring with me to work, it would be great to work on Mac in
evenings/weekends and in Windows during the week on my breaks at work if I
want....

So, this means having at least (2) Rev OS versions available, which makes
Enterprise version attractive, although probably overkill for a noob like me
and a higher cost option.

Option B - Studio

The other alternative that I just thought about is to go with Studio either
Windows or Linux version as I can run either Windows or Linux on my Mac with
Parallels Desktop and run Windows or Linux version on my P1610 as it¹s setup
to dual boot Win and Linux...

So, this makes Studio version attractive given its lower entry cost.

What do you guys think about my options?

2) Rev ­ Download vs Boxed Version

It¹s not clear to me from Rev¹s website what¹s included in boxed version
besides Rev CD. Do you get a printed copy of the user guide too? Or anything
else? Otherwise, seems like just easier/cheaper just to get download
version.

3) Rev Printed User Guide

Any recommendations for getting the printed user guide or do most people
just use the electronic version?

4) Learning Rev Strategy

Do you recommend just working through the included tutorials and other
materials that comes with Rev and then working on your own projects or ??

5) RevMentor Site

Have had some great helpful and encouraging correspondence regarding Rev
with Jerry Daniels. He informed me about his RevMentor website. I¹ve looked
it over and there¹s a lot of great Rev info there for noobs like along with
more advanced folks on this list.

Watching one of Jerry¹s vids (from RunRevLive 2008) was incredibly helpful
for me in understanding the differences between graphics, interfaces, and
workflow. The differences between them made perfect sense the way that Jerry
explained the concepts of each and why this is critical to making better
apps. Having the opportunity to watch someone in action as opposed to just
reading text is very helpful.

There¹s a lot there to learn from and Jerry adds to it regularly. Access to
all the materials is available for a very modest monthly subscription fee.

If you haven¹t seen the site, you should check it out!

www.revmentor.com

6) Hi! to Joe Wilkins

Last, but not least, I noticed Joe¹s posts to this list and want to say
ŒHi!¹...

Over the years, I¹ve corresponded with Joe a bit as we have similar
professional backgrounds and he always has been very helpful.

Last year when I was debating about Rev vs RB, I discovered some great
tutorials for Rev noobs that Joe wrote on the MacInstruct website and
emailed Joe about them...

Appreciate any and all input on the above.

I look forward to learning a lot from this group and participating as I can.

Regards,

Mark
Silicone Valley Digerati & Code Noob

* Is this correct term for Rev users??