Arrays: new and old keys, i

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Fri Sep 12 01:50:14 EDT 2008

On 11-Sep-08, at 7:24 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2008, at 5:55 PM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:
>
>> Now I understand, I didn't consider not to tell rev how many sub
>> arrays there would be. I have no clue when this would be useful
>> though, maybe you can explain that?
>
> Sure. One thing that the ability to dynamically specify a key would do
> is open up additional algorithms. Let's take the XML for example.

... ellipsis intentional

Can anybody explain what the new array format provides that the old
did not?  All these bizarre examples seem not so much as exemplifying
the ``new'' features as to leave me baffled as to what added value
they provide.  In NONE of the supposed or alleged examples have I seen
anything I could not do with old arrays.  So, and I mean in really
simple language (not OOP-speak), wtf is up with these new arrays?  I
see nothing but extra brackets.

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

-Dr. John R. Vokey