Zipping an application package by script

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu Sep 11 18:55:10 EDT 2008

The winner is    T A R in the shell()

put "/Users/sb/Desktop/200809070038/"  into ToBeZippdFolder
put  "/Users/sb/Desktop/testPlace/" & "archive.tar" into tarredfolder
put shell( "tar -cf" && tarredfolder && ToBeZippdFolder ) into fld "output"

success! This works wonderfully. Thanks Brian Yennie and Jim Ault,
Richard Gaskin,  Thomas McGrath III, Mark Talluto and Terry Judd.
This list rocks. Thanks for being around, guys when I get stupid.

1. I got the hack with Automator to work, kinda, but hated the way it
looked. Cheesy. Automator is great if used alone, but ... and I
couldn't figure out how to pass parameters to it. So what it does
would change if its location would change - it was hard wired. Move
the package and it breaks.

2. My problems with tar were about reversing the parameters AND
fixing that and reversing the definitions. Got it right now plus
fixed the typos.

3. Sorry, Trevor, I couldn't get your 'all in Rev' code to work yet
in 3.0 as Rev crashed immediately* on calling it and have not gotten
down to debugging it yet.  Shouldn't be that hard to check out; it's
all well written and self-documented.  This would still be useful to
me in creating an archive with a list or partial contents.

I mean <poof!> all gone!

4. Zip from the shell is worthless to me, just checking again. It
can't pack identical filenames, even ones with different paths. Which
is one reason to use folders in the first place.

put "/Users/sb/Desktop/200809070038/"  into ToBeZippdFolder
put  "/Users/sb/Desktop/testPlace/" & "archive.zip" into tarredfolder
put shell( "zip -r -jj" && tarredfolder && ToBeZippdFolder ) into fld "output"

zip warning:   first full name:
/Users/sb/Desktop/200809070038/55.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/.DS_Store
zip warning:  second full name: /Users/sb/Desktop/200809070038/.DS_Store
zip warning: name in zip file repeated: .DS_Store

zip error: Invalid command arguments (cannot repeat names in zip file)

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o