Play iTunes protected videos

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 16:24:17 EDT 2008

Hum!

It never ceases to amaze me that this sort of questions are even asked.
As quickly as people develop electronic protection schemes other people work out ways to get round them.

I have just spent 2 minutes searching with Google and, could, should I wish (which I don't as I don't own any DRM or other-wise protected media files), undo the protection "lickety-split".

Presumably Apple, in their "infinite wisdom", have protected their media files just exactly so that everybody, including RR programmers and end-users, cannot play them.

However, as Runtime Revolution works with Quicktime, it should play any file that Quicktime can play. It is probably necessary to 'tell' Revolution to play DRM audio files using the Player object as if they were video files; i.e. define DRM audio files with videoClip rather than with audioClip. A few years ago I authored a CD-ROM for Scottish High Schools on music education; I converted all the original sound files into MOV files (using a blank image as a dummy video file); this allowed for a good level of end-user control via "play videoClip at xx,xx".

Personally I object to the following:

I am legally not allowed to make a backup copy of a DVD I own
(bl**dy silly when it gets damaged),

similarly with music CDs,

I am legally not allowed to transfer data from gramophone records I own to home made music CDs for my own use,

I am legally not allowed to transfer data from cassette tapes I own to home made music CDs for my own use,

I am legally not allowed to transfer data from VHS tapes I own to home made DVDs for my own use.

As a result my home is full of gramophone players, cassette players, VHS players and so forth, taking up an awful lot of space. I am a child of the 1970s who grew up with a cheap cassette recorder and an even cheaper record-player: my friends and I "cross-copied" without being aware of doing anything 'naughty'. We all spent quite a lot of our parents' hard-earned money on records.

So why on earth I should pay money for a DRM-protected piece of music I cannot pop onto a CD to listen to on a picnic, or, even, transfer to another of my machines so that I can listen to it in another room, I don't know.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.