Zipping an application package by script

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Sep 10 00:50:55 EDT 2008

How bout this then...

tell application "Finder"
  -- Note: There's no extensive error trapping on this script
  -- (e.g. folder counts for larger folders to show warnings)
  -- You could also take off any .xxx suffix before adding
  -- the file to the .zip if needed
  set theItem to selection as alias
  set itemPath to quoted form of POSIX path of theItem
  set fileName to name of theItem
  set theFolder to POSIX path of (container of theItem as alias)
  set zipFile to quoted form of (theFolder & fileName & ".zip")
  do shell script "zip -r -j " & zipFile & " " & itemPath
  -- delay 1 -- this may be needed (and adjusted) for larger folders?
  try -- We don't need to say anything if there are no .DS_Store files
    do shell script "zip -d " & zipFile & " '*.DS_Store'"
  end try
end tell

Found at...

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050902030458181

Terry...

--
Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)

61-3 8344 0187