Zipping an application package by script

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 9 22:51:02 EDT 2008

Terry Judd wrote:

 > On 10/9/08 10:49 AM, "Stephen Barncard" wrote:
 >>
 >> I want to back up a REV .app package in MacOSX Leopard and send it to
 >> an FTP server. But I need to squash the whole thing for upload first.
 >>
 >> 1. I've been using the zip functions in Rev, but one has to handle
 >> each file separately and just keep track, or just turn the internal
 >> hierarchy into a flat folder. RevZip has no provision for maintaining
 >> folder structure. Does anyone know how to create (or where to
 >> include) a 'playlist' for a rev-zip file that can tell an unzipper to
 >> preserve the folders? How is that done?

I think you're on your own there, Stephen.  It's tedious to code, but
doable.

 >> 2. Using zip from the shell has problems - it doesn't want to see any
 >> .DS_Store nonsense, or for that fact anything else with duplicate
 >> names, even in different folders. I don't want to have to modify the
 >> content this way to make it work.
 >>
 >> 3. I have yet to find an Applescript that I could use that selects
 >> and engages the "Compress" item in the file menu of the finder, but
 >> if I could make that work that would be Marvey.
 >
 > There's an Automator action for the Finder called 'create
 > archive' that should do what you want.

Excited by the prospect of being able to create Zip archives without the
dot files, I just tested it.  No go:  with the action's "Ignore
unreadable files"option on or off (what exactly is an "unreadable
files?"; the notes for that action do not explain) it still copies the
.DS_Store files. :(

Apple employs smart people.  I'm sure one of them was smart enough to
recognize that if they're somehow stuck with a file system requiring
such kludges for simple metadata then surely there's a preference to
govern it for copying and archiving.  Now if only we could find it....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal