[FYI] WEBKIT

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Sat Sep 6 19:43:46 EDT 2008

The discussion of the new Google Browser last week got me looking
into Webkit, available for all platforms.   I just downloaded the
latest 'Nightly build', because quite frankly, I was ready to think
about chucking Safari because of all the crashes, etc lately.

Anyway, my early tests here reveal a much more stable, and faster
browser. And for those that have to do more than surf the web and may
actually have to work with it, this browser has some nifty developer
tools, with really good UI design.  I mean BEAUTIFUL actually. The
Apple Uniform Design actually got to the design tools.

http://houseofcubes.com/rev/screenshot.png

It includes an amazing timeline display on WHEN each element on the
page loads, acts as a media reader for each item (resources), a
separate view that shows resource sizes in the same way as the
TIMELINE. Also a percentage bar at the top that shows TYPES of
resources that are used in the page.

At the bottom the error list scrolls and shows tag mismatches and
resource misinterpretations. Nice to see how a browser deals with
your stuff. You can also LOOK at the source code, and opposed to the
shamefull (non) formatting of Safari in the past, this INDENTS and
COLORS the code very nicely. Also a DEBUGGER .

Two other tabs here say Profiles and Databases but nothing was
inside. Not sure what that's for.

The DEVELOP menu is hidden when first installed, but can be turned on
in preferences --> advanced

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o