EeePC follow-up: working with Rev

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Sep 6 16:33:56 EDT 2008

Bernard Devlin wrote:
> I'm planning on getting the Acer One (AA1) and looking to do all my Rev
> development on it (don't ask...) The AA1 has been favourably compared
> against all the Asus umpc's and the HP mini-note.
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/20176/Review_Acer_Aspire_One
> http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49297519-2,00.htm
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/208539/acer-aspire-one.html
> http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=2214&pn=1
> http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14349
>
> No only that, but in the UK the AA1 is cheaper than all competitors except
> the Asus 701 (which is just not possible to use as a normal laptop).

In the US as well.  The Eee has strayed so far from their original
projected price point that I'm glad to see the competition from Acer.

> What really put me off about the Asus eee umpcs was their keyboards: too
> small and too unresponsive when typing.  Finally when I saw the AA1 and
> started typing the keyboard felt almost normal - and given the device is so
> small, that's quite an achievement.

That's a big plus for Acer with me too.  I've played a bit with the Asus
at a local retailer, and while I love the compact design I wouldn't mind
sacrificing a bit of the size for a bigger keypad.  Looks like Acer's
done a good job in finding the right tradeoff.

The other challenge with an ultra-portable is finding a convenient
solution for synching with my MBP.

In the meantime while we wait for the market to sort itself out, I found
a solution for making even the 17" MBP into a an ultra-portable:

<http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/commuter/overview.asp?fl=1&sie=>

:)

--
  Richard Gaskin