EeePC follow-up: working with Rev

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 07:22:15 EDT 2008

I'm planning on getting the Acer One (AA1) and looking to do all my Rev
development on it (don't ask...) The AA1 has been favourably compared
against all the Asus umpc's and the HP mini-note.

http://www.osnews.com/story/20176/Review_Acer_Aspire_One
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49297519-2,00.htm
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/208539/acer-aspire-one.html
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=2214&pn=1
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14349

No only that, but in the UK the AA1 is cheaper than all competitors except
the Asus 701 (which is just not possible to use as a normal laptop).
Incidentally, last week the AA1 was the 2nd best-selling notebook on
amazon.com (
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/2008/09/03/acer-aspire-one-netbook-no-2-at-amazon/).
Today they've actually sold out.

What really put me off about the Asus eee umpcs was their keyboards: too
small and too unresponsive when typing.  Finally when I saw the AA1 and
started typing the keyboard felt almost normal - and given the device is so
small, that's quite an achievement.  After doing a bit of research, I found
that the OS is Linpus which is a version of Fedora.  And even though it
comes with a 'simplified' screen for 'normal' users, this can easily be
altered (without installing a new OS), to give access to package managers
and to get to the kind of desktop UI one would expect on a modern day linux.

The only drawback seems to be battery life, which is rated at somewhere
between 2.5 - 7 hours (depending on the presence of a 3-cell or a 6-cell
battery - so far only the 3-cell batteries are generally available).  Also,
the mouse buttons are a rather odd design (one on either side of the
trackpad, and each is a tall thin column.  Mind you, since my stupid compaq
laptop actually has the whole trackpad two inches to the right of the center
keys (F...J), I guess one can get used to strange physical layouts, but
maybe I'll find it necessary to use a mouse.  I suppose if I want to really
ask for the sky, I'd complain about the lack of built-in bluetooth, but then
most of the umpcs lack that.

Comparing the different umpcs for speed seems an unpredictable procedure.
Some reviews have the AA1 beating all the Asus alternatives; some have the
Asus 901 besting the AA1.  Some reviews complain the speakers sound tinny,
others say they sound better than on their normal laptop.  As I usually have
sound switched off on every pc I use, that's not going to be much of an
issue for me.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Bernard