[Heads Up:] OLED Buttons

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Fri Sep 5 11:49:51 EDT 2008

Yes, the Optimus people have a 'concept' page on their site where
they show a keyboard that's totally flat and devoid of mechanical
linkages, ie no buttons at all.  The visible surface can then take
any image. 'Special' keyboards, oversize keys, machine control panels
and music keyboards come to mind.

That unit will probably have to have some firmware, or a simple
'language' that can be uploaded to define regions.

>FYI, the small version has been out for a year or so.  The Optimus
>keyboard, only three or four months.  Right after they rolled out the
>full KB, either GE or Westinghouse announced that they had a new,
>cheaper way to manufacture OLED's in sheets, which will make this sort
>of input device much more cost-effective.  In situations such as ours,
>where we have legacy applications that make heavy use of function keys
>in terminal application software, this brings a wonderful way to
>transition to new technology because we can simply and easily update
>each display, which means that folks will quickly be able to see what
>it is they are pressing, and therefore will hit fewer wrong keys.

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o