semi-OT: can Rev pre-populate data on a web form?

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 13:58:21 EDT 2008

We want our customers to go through a registration process. So the
standalone would open a url to a form on our web site. The only reason
we're going to a web form instead of using a form in the application
is because we want an email message sent to us upon submitting the
information. I've explored Sarah's smtp library for sending email from
Rev, which I'm sure is great, but for some reason I can't get it to
work. I can't get it to connect to our smtp server. Anyway, that's a
different topic.

So my main question is, can Rev send data to a web form like this in
such a way that whatever fields we specify will be populated when the
browser/form opens? Not sure if something like this is even possible.
I haven't done enough web development to know. Is some special
JavaScript required to accomplish this? In thinking this through a
little more, if we have a web form that's already set up to send an
email, can't I take advantage of that in Rev by creating my own form
and then sending the data straight to the cgi behind the form? Once
again, I haven't done much web dev, so I may not even know what I'm
talking about. :-)

If anyone can help or can offer any other suggestions for how to
accomplish something similar, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield