secure FTP

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Wed Sep 3 08:51:34 EDT 2008

Hi,

I compiled Putty, including PSFTP, for Mac Intel some time ago. I
haven't used it much yet, but it should work fine. There are also
versions of Putty available for Windows and Linux and it shouldn't be
too difficult to compile it for Mac PPC (or you might find that
somewhere else).

Write me off-list and I'll send it to you. I won't support it, though.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz
http://facebook.economy-x-talk.com

Benefit from our inexpensive hosting services. See http://economy-x-talk.com/server.html
  for more info.

On 3 sep 2008, at 14:29, Bernard Devlin wrote:

> Securing FTP looks like it is going to be complex.  I searched the
> archive
> using Nabble and came up with this discussion from 2 years back:
> http://www.nabble.com/FTP-with-SSL-TLS-to5932257.html#a5935689
>
> Now, since both Dave Cragg and Dar Scott were involved (and both
> know more
> about networking and security than I will probably ever know), it
> doesn't
> look like there is any simple solution.  In fact, I would think that
> Dar's
> suggestion is probably not going to work with and would require you to
> bundle addtional software with your app. (From
> http://www.stunnel.org/faq/troubleshooting.html#ToC18 - stunnel is
> an ssl
> wrapper, placed round calls to local ports and forwards them
> securely to a
> remote port:)
>

> FTP over Stunnel won't work I just can't get ftp to work over
> Stunnel no
> matter how hard I try.
>
> *Answer*: Stunnel cannot be used for the FTP daemon because of the
> nature of
> the FTP protocol which utilizes multiple ports for data transfers.
> There are
> SSL aware FTP servers available.
>
> Alternitively you could use a different protocol. All versions of SSH
> include a program called scp which works like rcp. Recent versions of
> OpenSSH include a program called sftp which has an ftp-like feel.
<snip>