special folders

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 15:39:28 EDT 2008

On 30 Oct 2008, at 5:00 pm, Eric Chatonet wrote:

> From: Eric Chatonet <eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com>
> Date: 30 October 2008 12:57:20 pm GMT
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Subject: Re: special folders
>

> Bonjour David,
>
> You should have a look at Ken's tips:
> http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/file010.htm
> (specialFolderPath' Codes)
> http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/env007.htm
> (Vista "Gotchas" You Should Know About)

Merci Eric,

I had  looked at those links previously.  Very informative, but they
don't answer my specific questions.  Once I can identify the best
folder to use, then I will be able to look up the details on Ken's
remarkable table.

On 30 Oct 2008, at 5:00 pm,Tiemo wrote:

> From: "Tiemo Hollmann TB" <toolbook at kestner.de>
> Date: 30 October 2008 1:30:18 pm GMT
> To: "'How to use Revolution'" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Subject: AW: special folders
>

> Hi David, there is one thing you also have to be aware of in Vista.
> With the
> delivery settings of Vista the user dir /AppData is hidden. So if
> your user
> should have access to what you are storing you either have to
> create a new
> folder in the user dir or the user has to switch OFF the folder
> display
> option "don't show hidden folders" (or whatever it is named in the
> English
> version)
> Just FYI
> Tiemo

Thanks Tiemo.  I am not too worried if a folder is hidden, as long as
it can be accessed for read and write via the standalone.  For any
files the user can access directly, I will use the documents folder.
This is just for the app to access.

So, are C:documents and settings\all users\application data (XP) and
C:/programdata (Vista) the best bets?

David