OT: Using Windows Flag Logo

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 30 15:11:03 EDT 2008

Ted wrote:
> Does anyone know about guidelines and permission for using the Windows flag
> logo on web sites and software downloads?
>
> Although its use is predominant, I am having difficulty finding much
> information about it. For use with software, Microsoft's web site lists logos
> only for "Works with Vista" and "Certified for Vista." At the same time, the
> web is blanketed with the flag only. What's happening here?

The Certified logos require a certification process, which can cost a
bit and I'm not sure how easy they are to comply with.

For the plain non-certification logo, yes, it's a registered trademark
so it's generally considered a good idea to seek permission.

That said, I've found it impossible to get a reply from their legal
department on this. :(

I've written a couple different addresses in their legal department
three times over six months, and after never getting a reply I
eventually just gave up.

I would happily comply with any cease-and-desist order they might send,
as is within their rights, but I suspect they won't bother.  Thousands
of sites use the logo, and, as Richmond pointed out, as long as your use
of the logo promotes their brand in a positive way they'll probably
never take exception to it.

If I ever hear anything otherwise I'll share it here.

PS: Disclaimer required by CA state law: "I am not an attorney.  If you
need the services of an attorney you should consult a qualified
professional in your area."

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal