OT: "take-up of netbooks has been staggering"

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 04:48:57 EDT 2008

I think the keyboard size is ok (I can touch type on it).  The only thing I
think is bad are the trackpad buttons - they're in an uncomfortable place
(either side of the trackpad), and they are very stiff.  I have to use a
mouse with it.  From what I've read, it looks like others feel the same way
about that.  Maybe later versions of the AA1 will sort that out.  Mind you,
there are going to be so many of these netbooks, so I expect the quality of
them to improve still further.

I synch everything by Lotus Notes.  I run Notes on a couple of Linux servers
(linode.com), and under WINE on the AA1 (and on Vista and OS X).  People
think Notes is just email but it's far more.  It's a distributed document
database.  So I store PDFs, web pages, code, executables, stacks (versioned
with annotations), etc. all in Notes.  It also means that I have everything
replicated in multiple places (my laptops, and a server in Atlanta, and
another in California) in case of disaster.   I had my development laptop
stolen a few years ago, but I only lost a couple of hours of work.

But I know Notes is an acquired taste :-)  It might be worth looking into
using Gmail as a filesystem (using FUSE).

I bought the AA1 to do Rev development on, but unfortunately that didn't
work out.  Maybe others will have better luck with that (could be it will
work better on other versions of Linux).  If the growth in netbook sales
continues, in a year or so I can see there being more Linux laptops sold
than Mac laptops.  Rev could be very well positioned to take advantage of
that.  Whilst there are obviously masses of free dev tools for Linux, there
is no easy route to visual programming (unlike Applescript or VB).

Bernard