Handling custom URL protocols in Mac OS X?

Lyn Teyla lyn.teyla at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 23:31:07 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to get a standalone app to handle
a custom URL protocol in Mac OS X.

For example, something like this:

yippie://www.awesome.com/

I can get the custom URL protocol to launch
the standalone app, which is great (if you'd
like to know how this is done, see the P.S.).

However, within the app, I have no idea how
to find and extract the 'www.awesome.com'
portion of the URL that was used to launch it.

I've already tried checking $1, but it's empty.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lyn

P.S. To get a standalone to open a custom URL
protocol in Mac OS X, open the app package and
place the following in Info.plist (right after
the CFBundleSignature key):

  <key>CFBundleURLTypes</key>
  <array>
    <dict>
      <key>CFBundleURLName</key>
      <string>Yippie URL</string>
      <key>CFBundleURLSchemes</key>
      <array>
        <string>yippie</string>
      </array>
      <key>LSIsAppleDefaultForScheme</key>
      <true/>
    </dict>
  </array>

Then drag the standalone out of the Applications
folder (if it's already in there), and then (back)
into the Applications folder.

The custom URL yippie://www.awesome.com/ should
now launch the standalone.

Now, we just need to figure out how to grab the
URL from within the app!