stack design with externals?

runrev at animabit.de runrev at animabit.de
Tue Oct 21 07:31:34 EDT 2008

Hallo Tiemo,

I hope I understood your question:
I have the experience, that 1) the runrev standalone always expects the Externals in the subfolder of the defaultfolder, which is normaly the folder where the standalone is located and this location is expected by other stacks also which start from the same standalone (not relational to the location of any rev-stack), and 2) you can set the External location of any stack in "the externals of stack xyz", if you use to change the defaultfolder during the program:

1)
if you make a standalone

teachit.exe

with all the externals these are located in the subfolder /External:

teachit.exe
ssleay32.dll
libeay32.dll
External/revbrowser.dll
External/rev...
External/database_drivers/dbmysql.dll

The standalone can go to other rev stacks even on webserver etc. but my experience is that the externals always will be found in the subdir /External.

You can use in the standalone.exe
go stack "teachA.rev" in window (the windowID of this stack)
AND/OR
go stack URL http://myserver/stack.rev in a new window

if these stacks need externals and they are present in the subfolder of the stack where the standalone is located, it works.

=> Therefore I once have prepared a start.exe with all externals I have, which in the openstack script automatically loads an stack with the same name, but rev at the end.

I rename this start.exe as project1.exe, put project1.rev in the same folder with the dlls and the External folder and it works.
I only make a new standalone, if a new runrev version is published and I need it. In the normal case I just copy my start.exe as a loader to the actual project.rev.
And they always find the revBrowser External ... therefore I guess this also the case with Valentina.

2) doku "external"
Examples:
set the externals of stack "Apps" to field "Executables"

Use the externals property to use the externals in the specified files.
Value:
The externals of a stack reports a list of file paths, one per line.
Comments:
Each line of the externals specifies the name and location of a file containing external commands and external functions. If you specify a name but not a location, the file is assumed to be in the defaultFolder.
Regards und freundliche Grüße,

Franz

Franz Böhmisch

boehmisch at animabit.de