Totally OT - I need some heads up (and a hug or two)

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Fri Oct 17 12:18:50 EDT 2008

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. I've been there, many
years back but what I lost was in the hands of the operating system,
not in the hands of a thief.

I was 3 days away from submitting my project when I had been putting
in lots of code changes in the past 2 days. A thought popped into my
head that I should save the source so that I had a copy of the latest
changes, which were the result of an extensive development session.

It was at that precise moment that the mini computer system (bad old
days of multi user terminals) decided to choke on its virtual memory
system and ALL my code was scrambled randomly just as it was being
saved to the disk. WHAM! not only was my code messed up, so was my
drive copy. My only back up was a print out that was 2 days old.....

After throwing some chairs around in the terminal room (while in
tears), I went back to my old source and rewrote everything with a
vengeance, from memory and improved on it at the same time.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have done that more often in some of
my projects - throw the code away and rewrite it again - this would
have worked better.

I'm sure once you get over the emotional upheaval, you'll bounce
right back and what you create this time around will be even better.

Jesse