Can't view Quicktime files on XP (H:drive problem?)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 14 21:28:41 EDT 2008

Nicolas Cueto wrote:
> In short, for some unexplained reason XP changed the ownership
> settings of a group of JPGS in an external HD. Not all JPGS, just
> those in one specific folder. I guess it happened when, upon trying
> to view those images thru slideshow-software, the software seemed
> to choke. I moved the images to another location in that same HD
> and that resulted in the images being not only unviewable but un-
> eraseable. All other JPGS on that HD continued to work fine, though.
>
> Later, back on another computer (Win2K), I searched the internet
> and came upon an article about "How to take ownership of a file
> or folder in XP". It seems XP is automatically set to something
> called "Simple File" sharing. Anyway, once I changed the files'
> ownership, they became viewable.
>
> So, perhaps XP file ownership/sharing is the problem too in your case?

Hmmmm...I've had a report or two that sounds similar, and now I'm
wondering if this explains it.

Sounds like voodoo, but voodoo worth knowing about.  Where can I learn
more?  Should I just Google "How to take ownership of a file or folder
in XP", or was there a resource you found especially useful?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation