Problem running Revolution Player.exe and Rev Stack on Vista/Dell

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at cox.net
Mon Oct 13 16:35:39 EDT 2008

Chipp:

Yes, it does have a .rev extension. Perhaps Vista has one of those
preferences, somewhat like Preview does on the Mac, that makes it the
default player? Preview wants to open all PDF files if you make it the
default, which sometimes messes up the Adobe Reader docs. At least
that is what I've found. Since I used the Revolution Player.exe on XP
I thought it would be OK, but maybe downloading onto a Mac initially,
may have messed things up some way. I wouldn't have the slightest idea
as to how to file a bug report on this issue. Besides, it seems that
someone outside of mainstream "RunRev" created the Revolution
Player.exe if I remember correctly. Maybe if I downloaded the Rev
Player directly to the Vista Machine it might be better? But I,
apparently, trashed the email that had that download link on it, so I
need some assistance with that.

Noel:

You have me lost about "associating the properties". Is this something
you do on Windows? My Window's skills are fairly basic.

Thanks,

Joe Wilkins

On Oct 13, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Sounds like a botched file association.
> I assume your stack has a ".rev" extension? If not, make it so.
> If it still doesn't work, then consider re-installing the player.
> Hopefully it will automatically set up the file association.
>
> If not, then perhaps there's a bug in the player, or an already
> registered app for ".rev" which is confilicting. Not sure why WMP is
> trying to open. Might need to file a bug report.
>
> -C

You would think it would be associated, but that isn't always the case.

That is why I suggest you make sure the properties are associating the
Rev file with the Rev Player.

For whatever reason, Vista thinks you are trying to run a media file,
so it is trying to open it with Windows Media Player.

- Noel