iPhone again

Colin Holgate coiin at rcn.com
Fri Oct 10 17:03:33 EDT 2008

On Oct 10, 2008, at 3:21 PM, Bernard Devlin wrote:

> However, you might be better addressing Apple and asking them if
> there is
> the possibility of writing an application for the iPhone that is
> not a web
> app and is not written in Obj-C.

The approach that the Unity guys have taken is that their iPhone
toolkit exports out to an XCode project, which you then just build to
the iPhone. I imagine that the majority of what is in the project is
the 3D engine, and your custom bits are a small part of it. A similar
thing ought to be possible with Rev and other tools, but I'm sure
it's quite a bit of work to make the XCode project version of the
main application (Rev in this case).

As for App Store considerations, a lot of people use tools like Rev
for making things for themselves. You can publish iPhone apps to your
own iPhone without having to get it approved by Apple.