3.0 Field numbering messed up

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Oct 7 21:03:19 EDT 2008

Recently, Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:

> I kind of suspected that was probably the case, but we all
> like to save keystrokes when we can; particularly when there are a lot
> of them. Incidentally, the pointer tooltips plug-in 2.0 that Chipp
> recently released provides the field names as I had designed them "1",
> "2", etc. and no where does anything lead one to suspect that Rev is
> parsing these names as "layer" numbers. Though I can, obviously,
> accept things as they are, in my opinion Rev is dead wrong. Must be
> some backward compatibility issue with MetaCard; but not liking the
> prospect of changing the names for a whole bunch of fields; guess I'll
> just add an "x" in front of each one.

Joe -- it's not a backward compatibility issue, it's an ambiguity issue.  If
you say "field 1" in your scripts, Revolution has no way to know whether you
mean the first field on the card, or the field named "1", which could really
be the fifth field.  This is why you should use non-numeric-only names as
Mark suggested.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director