3.0 Field numbering messed up

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at cox.net
Tue Oct 7 20:57:17 EDT 2008

Hi Mark,

And thanks. I kind of suspected that was probably the case, but we all
like to save keystrokes when we can; particularly when there are a lot
of them. Incidentally, the pointer tooltips plug-in 2.0 that Chipp
recently released provides the field names as I had designed them "1",
"2", etc. and no where does anything lead one to suspect that Rev is
parsing these names as "layer" numbers. Though I can, obviously,
accept things as they are, in my opinion Rev is dead wrong. Must be
some backward compatibility issue with MetaCard; but not liking the
prospect of changing the names for a whole bunch of fields; guess I'll
just add an "x" in front of each one.

Joe Wilkins

On Oct 7, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Are you using "1", "2" etc. as field names? That's wrong. Revolution
> parses these names as numbers, regardless of the quotes. You must
> add some characters to make sure that Revolution parses the name as
> a string, e.g. "Val 1", "Val 2", etc.
>
> You can refer to these fields in a repeat loop or other script like
> this:
>
> repeat with x = 3 to 7
>  add fld ("Val" && x) to myTotal
> end repeat
> -- do something with myTotal here
>
> I think that saying "I shouldn't have to" is a little inappropriate
> in this particular case, even though it might apply to many other
> workarounds.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille